Do you need a Schengen EU- Visa for your Medical Treatment?
Citizens of many countries can travel Germany without applying for visa. Please check the website of your countries German embassy if you are in need of information.
The visa most easily obtained for those requiring medical treatment in Germany is a Schengen tourist visa or a type C visa for medical treatment.
Each applicant will be required to complete an application form (including children). For people who are undergoing medical treatment or need medical advice, please do not hesitate to contact the clinic for support in all matters relating to your visa application.
Please note that if you do require assistance with your visa application, it is helpful for us to receive a copy of your passport (by e-mail) in advance.
Documents required by the patient for the "Schengen Visa Type C application":
- One application form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Schengen Visums" (Application for a Schengen-Visa) duly completed and signed by the applicant in person.
- Letter of Invitation issued by orthopaedic Gelenk-Kinik stating the requirement of medical investigation and the total cost of treatment. This Invitation letter should also state the total cost of treatment. It should state that a refundable downpayment of the total cost of treatment has been received by the orthopaedic Gelenk-Klinik by wire Transfer to the bank account of orthopaedic Gelenk-Klinik.
- Passport (which must be valid for at least three months after the date when the holder leaves the Schengen zone and containing at least two empty pages).
- Copy of the applicant's passport (pages with photo, personal data and signature).
- If applicable, copies of your last two Schengen Visas.
- Two identical, recent passport photographs, meeting Schengen requirements (one glued on the application form, the other attached by paper clip).
- Accident/health insurance valid for the entire stay and accepted in the whole Schengen area (copy only). The insurance must cover the minimum amount of EUR 30’000.00. The Gelenk Klinik can help you purchase insurance from a German insurance company.
- Evidence of employment (e.g. letter from the employer) and evidence of income (earnings statement or salary slip); for students: student card (original and copy).
- Proof of transport including return trip e.g. ticket reservation (copy only).
Any accompanying person needs all of the above documents, including a signed invitation by the clinic and a confirmed hotel reservation. The Gelenk Klinik can also assist with your hotel booking. Please also send a copy of the passport to the clinic, if our visa service is required for an accompanying person.