Dr. Dirk Hömig, Orthopaedist and Trauma Surgeon, Special Orthopaedic Surgery
Knee and hip surgery, endoprosthetics, paediatric orthopaedics
Our health is our greatest asset. Particularly in orthopaedics it’s very possible to improve a patient’s health through various treatment options. It’s a very satisfying and diverse professional task.
I already took an interest in natural sciences in school. I particularly wanted to understand the complex processes and connections of the human body and wanted my profession later in life to give me purpose.
The combination of working with my hands and providing advice is a particularly satisfying task. I immensely enjoy working with people in different age groups. In paediatric orthopaedics in particular, conditions can sometimes be treated with simple measures with a matter of weeks. This can help to spare the infant numerous possible surgeries over the course of its life. One example is the Tübingen hip flexion and abduction orthosis used in the case of an incorrectly developed hip joint (dysplasia). Even helping to significantly improve the quality of life for people who have been suffering from arthritis pain for years is a wonderful part of my job.
Here at Gelenk-Klinik we have access to all modern medicine has to offer. The specialised orthopaedic medical practice offers modern treatment concepts in a comfortable environment with extremely competent staff.
- Speciality orthopaedic surgery
- Certificate paediatric orthopaedics from the Vereinigung für Kinderorthopädie
- Sonography of the infant hip
- Sonography of the musculoskeletal system
- Diagnostic radiology of the entire skeleton
- Certificate Gesellschaft für Fußchirurgie (GFFC)
- 1991 to 1997 in Ulm
Student in practical year:
- Clinic for orthopaedic surgery and traumatology at Kantonsspital St.Gallen
- Internal medicine at Klinik am Eichert Göppingen
- Orthopaedics at Klinik am Eichert Göppingen
1998 to 1999: Residency at Klinik für Orthopädie, Markgröningen
1999 to 2001: Residency at trauma surgery clinic, Marienhospital Stuttgart
2002 to 2004: Residency at orthopaedics clinic, Ortenau Klinikum Offenburg
2006 to 2010: Acting senior practitioner at orthpaedics clinic, Ortenau Klinikum Offenburg
2008: Orthopaedist and trauma surgeon
2010 to 2019: Senior physician in orthopaedics, Ortenau Klinikum Offenburg-Gengenbach specialising in endoprosthetics and paediatric orthopaedics
2014 to 2019: Senior surgeon at the maximum care endoprosthetics centre, Ortenau Klinikum Offenburg-Gengenbach
2019 to present: Senior physician at Gelenk-Klinik Gundelfingen
Topic of dissertation:
- Second look arthroscopy after reinsertion and reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament
- Krischak, G., Hömig, D., Beck, A., Wachter, N., Pokar, S., Kinzl, L., & Hehl, G. (2001). Beurteilung von Knorpelveränderungen im Rahmen der “Second-look”-Arthroskopie 12 Monate nach operativer Rekonstruktion einer vorderen Kreuzbandruptur. Der Unfallchirurg, 104(7), 629–638.
- Fuchs, A., Häussermann, P., Hömig, D., Ochs, B. G., Müller, C. A., Helwig, P., & Konstantinidis, L. (2018). 5-Jahres-Follow-up von 210 Columbus-Knietotalendoprothesen. Der Orthopäde, 47(10), 859–866.